USING PESTICIDES PROPERLY:
* Read the label carefully before buying or using any pesticide.
* Make sure the pesticide you purchase is the right one to use on the “pests”
you wish to control.
* Purchase only what you need so there will not be a lot left over to store or dispose of.
STORING PESTICIDES SAFELY:
* Keep pesticides in their original container. If the original container is damaged in any way, place the container inside a larger container sealed with a plastic lid (zip-lock baggie works well), you can use a box lined with two plastic bags or a metal container with a lid.
* Please put the following information on the outside of the container: The Date, Name of the Pestiicide and the quantity. Always try to keep the original label if possible.
* Store pesticides in a dry area like a locked cabinet or on a high shelf away from children and pets.
* Make sure that the pesticide containers do not get wet or frozen.
PROPER PESTICIDE DISPOSAL:
* Use up all the pesticide before buying more.
* If you can’t use all of a pesticide yourself, find someone who can. Contact neighbors, friends, greenhouses, plant nurseries, park departments and garden clubs. Make sure any pesticides you give away are in their original containers with readable instructions.
* Empty pesticide containers should be rinsed at least three times. Use the rinse water as you would the regular strength pesticide. You can put the rinsed container in the trash.
* Pesticides that cannot be used should be taken to a community household hazardous waste collection event. Please contact your local solid waste management authority for more information or visit Ohio EPA’s website at www.epa.ohio.gov for a list of local contacts.
OHIO DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
PESTICIDE AND FERTILIZER
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY EXTENSION OFFICE
PROPER PESTICIDE USE
U.S. EPS WEBSITE
CONTROLLING PESTS AROUND THE HOME
EARTH 911 WEBSITE
For more information about recycling options for your house-hold hazardous wastes.
RCWSMA Pesticide Disposal Guide